There She Goes Again--Week 40
August 5, 2023
Hola Todos!
Another week has pounded by. That seems to be the general theme of the mission. Another week, then another, and then another. I can confidently say that when things are going well time goes fast. When it does not... Well, it's a different story that's a bit slower.
This week was pretty fun! It went fast but felt long. I got to play doctor on Wednesday which was cool. Some hobo joe popped into the office and asked if we could help him out with his messed up foot. Getting off of a bus he stepped onto a mess of glass in overused flip flops. He had some pretty gnarly cuts. They weren't bad enough to warrant stitches or glue so the hospital sent him away. So he'd been hobbling around in the filthy streets in flip flops with open and painful cuts.
When he first knocked on the door, none of us Elders really knew what to do. We instantly thought, oh jeez, another hobo asking the church for money to buy his street drugs. We opened the door and Hermana Isaacson started to talk with him.
I haven't introduced Hermana Isaacson to the email group yet, but she is one of the best human beings EVER. She's one of the Senior missionaries who helps us run the mission with her husband Elder Isaacson. The most important thing to understand about the Isaacsons is that they try to help everyone. Especially hermana Isaacson.
When the dude asked if we had any food that he could have, Hermana Isaacson popped up to go make him some food. He then took a step backward and almost fell over in pain. Seeing our surprise, He then revealed to us the bottom of his foot, showing two big gashes.
Hermana Isaacson gasped and turned into a momma bear. It was crazy to watch! She whipped out a bunch of medical supplies I didn't know we had, ushered Hobo Joe into another room, got him to sit down, and put us all into emergency mode.
I pulled out my trusty lifeguard skills and got to do all the cool first aid stuff. I put on some rubber gloves (Gloves first, always!), cut off a lot of dead and rotting skin, all while encouraging hobo Joe not to scream his head off while I deep cleaned his cuts.
It was a cool little experience that I'm grateful I had! I never thought I'd be able to use some of my first aid skills on the mission! It also taught me a little bit about being a good human. Us elders thought that it was just another bum on the streets asking for money. Our first reaction was, "how can we tell this guy off?".
On the other hand, Hermana Isaacsons first reaction was instead, "how can we HELP this man?" I'm super grateful for the example of Hermana Isaacson. She thought in the way the savior would. Instead of thinking of OUR loss she thought of HIS gain. That's a reaction I wish to acquire. Help others no matter what, who, or when.
Ive seen that when we aspire to help others and serve, the Lord will send us people that we really can help. People who need our help, talents, and time. The first step to finding someone to serve is being willing to help them when the time arises.
I hope you all are ready to help people! Be the change you want to see! Only then can we be better beings! #poetry
Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful week! May the force be with you and the grind never stop. We'll rest when we're dead!









Comments
Post a Comment