Come at me, Bro--Week 22

April 3, 2023

 Hola Todos!

I hope everyone had a wonderful conference weekend. It truly was a banger and a fantastic way to wrap up the week and recharge our spirit to do the work!
We did have some more interesting things happen this week. We spent some more time in Centro which was an interesting change to say the least...
One night after a crazy long lesson we met an absolute nut job while waiting for a bus. We were in downtown Centro near the 'Chaca'. The Chacarita is one of the most dangerous and crazy neighborhoods in Paraguay. But it's not just the area, it's the surrounding area too! Sitting waiting for a bus (in the dark), we were approached by a random dude of 60'ish who declared himself to be a 10 year veteran of the US military (he didn't speak a lick of english). He wanted us to help him get to the US so he could learn how to make weapons which he could then use to invade and attack Brazil. Could we please help him!
We told him we were the missionaries.
"Oh yea, and i'm going to the US to preach the gospel too," He scoffed, "No, no. I know special forces when I see them. You're here to study Paraguay for the US. Look, I'm your friend if you're mine."
The entire time I was doing my best not to laugh! I couldn't believe this guy was serious! Or even real!
He then started babbling about deep biblical doctrine and how he and his secret society (of 200 brothers) were ready to overthrow the corrupt Paraguayan government and their devil Brazilian friends. He then tried to recruit us into his secret society. Restraining my laughter and utter disbelief me and Elder Smith hopped onto a random bus to get away. It was an interesting experience telling off an anti-brazilian religious terrisort.
Centro, Asuncion at night: 8/10 Would recommend... if accompanied by police.

On a more wholesome note, we had interviews with the President this week! I'm really grateful for Presidente Alleman and I always look forward to our interviews. He's packing the knowledge and wisdom! Just like zone conference, I walked out rejuvenated in my step and my desire to do and be better.
The interviews helped my comp a lot too. Elder Smith has been struggling a lot more than me. I love him to death and it sucks to see him suffering so much under the power of his own mind and perfectionism. Our interview gave him a much needed boost. It's comforting to know Presidente Alleman has our back no matter what happens.
Another blessing! We finished off the slightly depressed week with General Conference. It was a welcome break. There were a lot of messages about pushing on when things are rough. Oof.
I was reminded that the Lord knows us and stands by our side to take our humble offerings. No matter how great or how small they are, He will always make them perfect. Conference has renewed my hope for our area (and the mission in general, RIP). I'm grateful for the strength I've been given this week to keep pushing on. I've been on the upswing mentally. Not gonna lie, I'm a little scared of what that means going into the next couple weeks... but hey! It's aight! Let the winds of hell come against us! Through it all, we will push on!
With that triumphal invitation for a now assuredly crumby next few weeks, I invite everyone to follow the prophets invitation to forgive someone this week in preparation for Easter. It's a powerful invitation that has the promise of healing not just for ourselves, but also those around us.
I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of your day! May the force be with you, we shall rest when we're dead!
The emotionally recuperating missionary,
-Elder James Tanner


Emotional Fortitude O'Meter
Gosh dang it, I'm going to be better this week - 8/10 Medals in the war against Satan
🎖🎖🎖🎖🎖🎖🎖🎖

1. Salvation inbound
2. Stitched a hole on the butt of my pants 😎
3. Conference single handedly saving missionaries
4. Saturday session music slapped
5. My dry flowers coming in looking freshhh
6. German pancake conference weekend








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Die You Stupid Ants--Week 16

It All Changes--Week 42