I don't think we are in Kansas anymore....MTC Wk 3-4
11/25/2022
Hola todos!It's been an interesting two weeks! We didn't have a P-day last week because of our travel day and it feels like it's been forever since I was in the real world. Now its at the point where the days are starting to blur together. The days are blurred but they've been really fun!
From day one it's been an adventure. On day one, traveling to the MTC, me and another Elder almost missed our connecting flight to Mexico because our flight out of Spokane got delayed over an hour because part of our landing gear broke. Day two was super fun because we met all the district and we all click super well. Then later that night I got called as the 11A District leader… God decided that night to give me no chill on this mission. But hey! It's an opportunity… right? Since becoming the district leader my new catchphrase is,
“The grind never stops! We can chill when we’re dead!”
My companion, Elder Naylor, does not like when we’re zooming all over campus trying to get everything done. I will say it's been a little more challenging with my companion than I expected. We get along for the most part and he’s really chill. The problem is sometimes he can be too chill… and man, sometimes I wish he would just walk faster! But we’re good at communicating and thankfully we’re working through our differences and expectations. I will say it's been a humbling experience when I have to change my mindset so we can work together. It's been great overall, plus we are both pretty quick to pick things up. If we can figure out how to balance each other out, we’re gonna be the smartest companions on campus!
One thing that's been super great has been our Casa. Casa 17, there are about 24 guys in a 7 bedroom house and it is so much fun! Nights after class everything is such a vibe. One guy brought a violin/fiddle, so most nights it's like we’re in Her Majesty's Navy; sailing on an 18th century Frigate. We’re also menaces to society (in a good way, ish)! We found out how to use our nametags like kazoos, we call them Kazoots, so there are days where we’ll harmonize in the hallways with our makeshift instruments. It's fantastic! Heheheh, and our district has been leaving rubber ducks everywhere and they get moved to amazing places all the time. There's one we found squished into a security camera and there are a few floating in the fountain!
Devotionals with all the missionaries are powerful too. We almost knocked the auditorium down with the elders rendition of The Spirit of God. All the people here are amazing. 98% are here with purpose in mind and loving hearts to accompany. The spirit is always strong.
On top of an amazing social environment, the CCM campus is beautiful. There are literally flocks of parrots that fly around the campus and there are stunning red and white flowers in the trees. There are all kinds of weird bushes and I met an overly large Mexican spider! Best of all, they have the Christmas stuff up right now so it's never dark with all the lights.
As fun and beautiful as it's been, it hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were trials of endurance and I was getting through class telling myself I just have to put one foot in front of the other. One day at a time. Spanish is really hard! Plus being surrounded by super smart super, super spiritual people does little to boost the ego. Which is something I'm not used to 😭.
The CCM has been amazing so far. It's hard to believe I'm already almost a month into my mission. It's been great to connect super well with all the Elders and Hermanas in our district and the entire CCM. It's exciting to commit to something with full purpose of heart and I'm excited to keep learning. Paraguay’s coming fast though, and for that I'm even more excited.
Well, that's all I got for this short summary of the Mexico MTC so far! More to come! Onward with faith! We got places to be, people to see, things to do and people to become!
May the force be with you all!
That one dude who's chilling in Mexico,
-Elder James Tanner
Emotional Fortitude O'Meter
Doing Almost Very Good - 8/10 Fuegos
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
1. Changed all the names for the group chat
2. I Did in fact find a fire extinguisher in my bed.
3. Ducks in the fountain
4. Duck in the tree
5. Folded laundry for service project this thursday






Comments
Post a Comment